Last Tuesday, I called my doctor because I was getting really swollen. My church shoes didn’t fit but any worse, my regular shoes wouldn’t either. They ran some test and my doctor told me not to go to work and stay off my feet but come in the next day. Wednesday after school, I went to my scheduled appointment and found that I was not even supposed to go to school that day. Oops. I wasn’t sure what was going on and he explained that I was being tested for preeclampsia.
What is that? What’s crazy is that BabyCenter.com has had a lot of information of this topic and I was concerned. www.everydayhealth.com says, “Preeclampsia is a condition that occurs only during pregnancy, after the 20th week. A woman with preeclampsia develops high blood pressure and protein in the urine, and she often has swelling (edema) of the legs, hands, face or entire body. When preeclampsia becomes severe, it can cause dangerous complications for the mother and the fetus. One of these complications is eclampsia, the name for seizures or coma that are caused by severe preeclampsia.” Further down this website lists conditions which increase the chance that a woman will develop preeclampsia and eclampsia. Three of them which refer to me include chronic (long lasting) high blood pressure, first pregnancy, and having a sister, mother or daughter who has had preeclampsia or high blood pressure in pregnancy.
In the past this disease was called toxemia. My mother had it and almost died. Every time the nurses check my blood pressure, their eyes get really big and say, let’s check that again. Shaun and I asked him to teach us a little about blood pressure and what the numbers mean. The top number is the left side of your heart, the bottom number is the right side. For non-pregnant women, your top number should not be over 120. For pregnant women 140 is high. Mine is way over that. I range from 150-158 each visit. My bottom number is high as well. 80 is the high for pregnant women. I was 99 my last visit.
So I have been told to say off my feet, resting in bed until who knows when. I was tested again in Thursday and the doctor said he’d call me if he’s concerned. He didn’t call so I’m on my living room couch possibly until February. It’s sad that I have to miss out on some really important events like Brock and Marie’s wedding. I am going to the sealing if I have to be put in a wheel chair. I’ll stand for a few minutes for pictures but I don’t think we will be at the reception.
This is so worth it for my baby Brooklynn. Like I said, my goal is to bring her home from the hospital healthy! Meanwhile, I am catered to by my wonderful husband. (Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner) Don't worry I can get up to use the facilities and shower.
Crystal
Jane Cooks
1 day ago

1 comment:
Oh Crystal, you poor thing. I had no idea you had preeclampsia. I need to come visit you! I'm sure you're nervous and a little scared, but I'll be thinking about you. If you ever have any questions or concerns, just let me know, and I'll try to answer them for you! Oh, and I made you a little Christmas gift, I'll have to run it over sometime. Keep your spirits high!
Post a Comment